Supporting long term athletic development and empowering student athletes to achieve their full potential.
The St Mary MacKillop College PE Pathways Program is a stream of Physical Education that has been designed to support student athletes in Years 10, 11 and 12.
A specialised curriculum has been developed to allow students to learn and experience new content that is not covered in Physical Education. The program focuses on improving students’ knowledge, skills and understanding of elite performance, physical development, injury prevention and recovery.
Features of the PE Pathways Program include:
- Specialised curriculum
- Individualised strength and conditioning programming
- Academic mentoring
- PE Pathways uniform
- Guest presentations from elite athletes and high performance coaches
- Access to release time for study and assessment preparation
- Regular supervised training
What makes PE Pathways different to other school sports programs?
- The program caters to students from all sports (including dance)
- Class work is individualised to suit the needs of each student
- Class content has been designed by staff who have coached and competed in elite level sport and worked in high performance strength and conditioning
- The course has been developed based on modern sports science research and practice
- The program is founded on principles of long term athlete development. It teaches students to know their body, maximise their athletic potential and limit injury. This allows students to continue to perform in their chosen sport well after leaving school.
Topics covered in PE Pathways include:
- Injury prevention
- Sports nutrition
- Sports psychology
- Weight training
- Speed training
- Strategies to maximise performance
- Recovery strategies
- Posture, stability and flexibility
How is PE Pathways structured?
In Year 10, students participate in PE Pathways instead of standard Year 10 Physical Education classes. Students apply to enter the Year 10 PE Pathways Program in Semester 2 of Year 9.
In Year 11 and 12, the PE Pathways Program is aligned with the BSSS accredited course, Sports Development. This course can be selected as part of any Year 12 Certificate package.
Who is eligible to apply for PE Pathways?
Students are enrolled in the PE Pathways Program on a case by case basis. It is preferable that students are competing at a representative level in their chosen sport. However, students participating in their chosen sport at a club level are also eligible if the student can demonstrate that they are making progress towards competing at a representative level. Students are also required to submit a copy of their most recent Semester report with their application. Their approaches to learning will be reviewed by staff to gauge the student’s level of application to class work. Only students who demonstrate a high level of application across each of their subjects will be accepted into the program.
How do I apply for Year 10 PE Pathways?
For more information please contact the PE staff at the St Peter's (Isabella) Campus: